In this article, we will explain how to modify metadata in PrestaShop. If you own an online store in PrestaShop, you must know how to use metadata to improve the SEO positioning of your page. Metadata is information in the page’s HTML code that helps search engines understand its content and display it in search results.
Before starting, you must remember that PrestaShop offers the possibility of modifying metadata at the page and category levels. Page-level metadata applies to a specific page, while category-level metadata applies to all pages that belong to that category.
Elements that make up the metadata in PrestaShop
Before diving into how you can modify the metadata in PrestaShop on each of the different pages that make it up, we must know what elements make up this metadata.
Metadata on a PrestaShop website refers to the information used to describe and tag the content of pages, helping search engines and users understand what each page is about and improving the site’s SEO.
The elements that make up the metadata in a PrestaShop include:
- Page title (title): It is also known as an SEO title or meta title. The name appears in the browser tab and search results. It should be brief, descriptive, and contain keywords relevant to the page’s content.
- Description ( meta description ): It is a brief description of the page’s content that appears below the title in the search results. It must be concise and attractive to motivate the user to click the link.
- Keywords ( keywords ): These are relevant to the page’s content. These words are used to index the page content in search engines.
- Friendly URL: In the SEO world, it is known as “slug “. It is a URL containing keywords that are easy for users to understand. This can help improve the usability and SEO of the site.
- These are the main elements, although the following aspects are also considered metadata, in this case they are not so important:
- Tags: These are additional keywords that are used to categorize and classify the content of the page.
- Images (images): Images can also have metadata, such as titles, descriptions, and alt tags. This metadata can help improve the accessibility and SEO of pictures on the site.
The metadata must be relevant and accurate to the page’s content, as this will help improve the visibility and positioning of the site in search engines.
How do we modify the home metadata in PrestaShop?
Modifying the metadata of the home page in PrestaShop is a crucial task to improve the positioning of the page in search engines and increase the website’s visibility. The home page is one of the most important pages on a website, so the metadata must be accurate and relevant.
To modify the metadata of the home in PrestaShop, you must follow the following steps:
- Access the Prestashop administration panel.
- In the menu on the left, in the “Settings” section, select the “Store parameters” option.
- Next, we choose « SEO and traffic ».
- When the tab is displayed, several pages will appear; in the case of the home, it is usually the so-called “index “.
- Select the page for which you want to modify the metadata.
- Once inside the page, you will see several options to change the metadata, such as the title, description or keywords.
Modify metadata at the page level.
Modifying page-level metadata on a PrestaShop website is an important task to improve the visibility and ranking of pages in search engines. Metadata, such as the title, description, and keywords, helps search engines understand the content of a page and index it correctly.
To modify metadata at the page level in PrestaShop, you must first access the page you want to change in the PrestaShop back office. Once there, you can find the fields to modify the metadata in the “SEO” tab in the “Page Info” section.
To modify metadata at the page level, you must follow the following steps:
- From the starting position of our PrestaShop, we must go to the “Improvements” section.
- Once there, we must select the Design > Pages option. This will open a table of all our pages (categories or products do not enter this part).
- Once here, we can choose the page where we want to change the metadata.
- To the far right, we select the modify option using the pencil or displaying the three dots.
- Subsequently, a tab will open where you will find all the information associated with said page, from its title to the slug.
Steps to change the metadata of a category in PrestaShop
It’s important to remember that changing a category’s metadata is only one part of a website’s SEO strategy. It is also necessary to optimize the content and structure of the website to obtain better results in search engines.
Fortunately, changing the metadata of a category in PrestaShop is a simple process that can be completed in a few steps.
To change the metadata of a category in PrestaShop, follow these steps:
First, log in to your PrestaShop admin panel and navigate to the “Catalog” section in the main menu. Next, select the “Categories” option to see a list of all the product categories in your online store.
Once you have selected the category you want to modify, click on it to access its settings page. In the “Information” tab, you will find metadata fields such as “Meta Title” and “Meta Description“. These fields allow you to add text describing the category in question, which will be displayed in Google search results.
To change the category metadata, type the new values in the corresponding fields and click “Save.” Ensure your meta title and description are accurate, descriptive, and relevant to the category in question. Also, include relevant keywords to help search engines correctly index your website.
Once you’ve saved your changes, verifying that the new metadata has been saved correctly is good practice. To do this, go back to the category page and check that the values in the metadata fields match the ones you just entered.